B1 - Personal Progression Evaluations

Before researching into my future options my initial plan was to be either get a job or stay in education after college, I did not know much about other options and if I would get the grades in order to be accepted into university so a job would offer security for me.

My Inspirations 

I wrote a post on my blog about my inspirations in the media industry and I choose Alfonso Cuaron and Joss Whedon as my inspirations as they are the ones to get me really interested in the industry and roles such as director and producer.

Researching into potential careers really helped me to understand the type of skills I would need such as organisation, communication, writing and many more. It was given me the thought to expand my skills in order to do this role to the best of my ability.

I know in order to get into these job roles I will need experience in the industry and work my way up in order to prove to employers I have put the work and effort in order to reach my goal. There are many ways in order to get into these careers.

Working in the Media Industry

Working in the Media industry research was a very informational task that I completed as I was able to find out all different types of responsibilities for the jobs that I was to undertake when I enter the media industry.

I first began researching into the roles and responsibilities into my chosen career in order to understand what I would have to do and role I would have.

Secondly, I began to research into the different jobs that are currently on offer in order to see what types of job are available for me in the future and what types of qualifications or experience I would need in order to be the right candidate for the job.

Finally, I had a look at different apprenticeships that were available in the media industry. I looked at BBC, Channel four and many other tv channels. From the research I found a lot about what happens at apprenticeships, job might be offered and how much I would get paid if I took it.

Overall It was a very information as I was able to learn more about the job market and see what types of options and pathways there are into the jobs or careers that I would want in the future. It also made me see the big demand for people in the media industry.

Academic Research

University is one of the main routes I was thinking about taking after college as many people in the industry have gone to university in order to get further in the industry but university also offer hands on experiences alongside education of the industry. 

I began researching into all different universities with film and media course such as Newcastle, Teeside, Sunderland, Durham, Northern school of art, Bedfordshire, and many more all over the country. 

The main course I researched though was the ones of my local area which are Newcastle, Sunderland, Teeside and Durham as I knew If I were to attend, I would want to be close to home.

All of the media and film courses were very different compared to each other as they all offered many different things such as Newcastle has a very lenient course as you can bring other similar courses into your course where as Teeside it is very structured, and you can't bring other courses into the course. 

After all this research into all different types of courses, universities and cities, I officially decided that I was going to attend university full time and carry on in the creative media subject. 

In order to apply for university, I had to create my UCAS account. UCAS is very important in order to apply to universities as that is the main way many universities have set it out.

For UCAS applications you have to fill in information about my educations, finance, and employment. I answer question about these subject so they can get an understanding of me, they also have a section for my personal statement.

Personal Statement

A personal statement is where I can explain why I am fit for the course and why they should pick me for the course. I did many drafts of my personal statement in order to get it perfect right for the UCAS application.

A personal statement gives people an insight to my personality, drive, passion and why I should be hired. Employers can look at personal statements and be able to see if I would be a good fit to work for them. 

After finishing my UCAS application, I began shortening the list to the five universities I was going to apply for. I made my decision based on what I wanted and needed for my course. The five universities I chose Newcastle, Teeside, Sunderland and Durham, I applied to different course at Newcastle.  I was going to apply for a course at the Northern school of art, but I decided against it as it is too far away from home and did not have the syllabus I wanted.



 

Brand Identity is very important to a business as this is the way the business is seen by the public. I must have a good brand identity in order to be recognizable but also have a positive image so people will know my business is a good and one of quality.

CV

I must first create a CV, as CV shows my experience education and how some of my skills that I have. It is very important that I create a CV is a big part of my brand as I would struggle to get job offers and interaction with other business. 

Before writing my own CV, I had a look at other people's CV in order to see what types of important they added about themselves and why they added. I noticed they mainly used small sentences and did not have lots of writing but crucial information this is because a employer only wants the most important information on a CV rather than paragraphs about what you have done.

The main things you add to a CV is education, experience, skills, references and contact information. This is the information as they need as from this they will be able to see if you are equipped for the job role they want filling and if you would be capable of filling it based of your work experience.

I had to make many drafts of my CV as I had to create a solid CV what would make it show all the right information. For CV's you must have small sentences with all the right information and employers do not want to see paragraphs of sentences as they want quick information. 

Logo Design

The second task is to create a logo for my brand. A logo is very important to every brand as this is the way is identified to the public and employers. I had figured out my brand name, which is Bea Productions, I figured for the logo I could do a play on words and have the logo as a bee symbol. Bee has a personal meaning to me as well as they are one of my favorite animals, having brand logos that are personal to the person is able to make more of a connection to the audience. 

For my logo, I also created a color theme for my logo as each logo always has a color theme in order for people to identify the brand. 

For the logo I also had to research into other different types of logos in order to see how other business create their logos. I needed to make sure other brand do not have the same logo as me as it would be confusing for the public but also confuse future employers.



Business Card

After creating a logo, my next step was to create a business card in order to give to future employers at networking events. This gives employers an easy way to contact me or to research into my brand to see if I am the right fit to work with. Before creating my business card I looked into other business cards and how they have information on but a limit of information.

I found on other business cards that they only hold important information such as phone number, website, email and social media handles as this gives people a way to find out more about the business before contacting and to see the skill I am able to hold. 

I had made many pro types of business cards I had to make the right business card for my brand but also to make the right color to make the card pop out from the right and engage my audience.




Showreel

Making a showreel was the next on the list for creating my brand, A showreel is where a person in the media industry to show there skills what they have to show future employers. Before creating my showreel I decided to research into other peoples showreel in order to see what I would need to include in my own showreel. Researching in to others showreel was able to give me a list of demonstrations I would need in mine such as Intro, Outro, showing skills and much more.

I decided to start making my showreel in Davinci as it was the only software available but also I knew much of the tools and software in order to make my showreel. I gathered all of my clips from my short film and my documentary in order to show of the projects I have worked on but also tested the transitions to see how they would fit on certain clips and weather they would fit the tone I was trying to set. 

Creating my intro and outro for the showreel, I easily created this on Canva as they have many templates and easy software to use, but also I created my logo with Canva which allowed me to import my logo easily. Canva has a very easy software to use and allowed me to create a seamless introduction to my showreel, I animated every object on the page to slide into the page to show of more of my editing skills.



After working on each draft of my showreel, I create a google document form and sent it out along side my showreel in order to get feedback on each one as I wanted to know what I could improve. I was very happy with every time with the feedback as I was able to make my showreel more suitable but also set more of the tone. 

For my final showreel, I still sent out a google survey as I wanted to make sure that there was nothing I could improve on. 

For my final showreel, I will use my showreel on my create Britain in order to show people my skill set within in the media industry. In time when I have more products and more skills developed I will still have my original showreel to show my employers the skills i have developed.

Create Britain

After creating my showreel, I began to create my own Create Britain profile in order to show employers and the public more about my brand and who I am. 

Before starting create my own create Britain account I researched into other business and peoples Create Britain profiles. These profiles were very much of a help to me as I was able to understand what information and evidence I have in working in certain areas and how I should write my personal paragraph.

It was very easy to set up a create Britain profile as the website is built so I can easily upload my showreels and projects I have worked on to show employers. 

On the website they also give me the option to explain all of my work subjects and what experience I have had with them in order to show the skills I have and experience I have in certain areas which employers wish to see as they want to see development.

I created a banner to put at the top of my page too in order to welcome people to my page. I also created many drafts of my personal paragraph as I wanted to create a paragraph about myself, why I wanted to work in media and what drives me in order to show employers. They like paragraphs like this in order to see what type of person I am but also to see if I would be a good fit with their business.

 

Over my college experience I have been able to be involved in a lot of opportunities for my networking. I have been able to experience talks from many people in the media industry and learn a lot about how they got into the industry to begin involved in projects for charity and the college.

These experiences have been able to give me lots of inside knowledge of how the industry works and how I should use this knowledge to get into the industry. It has been able to give me a wider insight on many careers and jobs in the media industry such as director, sound, camera, producer and many more.

From Leo Pearlman and David Putnam, I was able to learn a lot about what the main roles of a director and a producer are, the responsibilities and how they are very important in the industry.

Leo Pearlman discussed a lot about how he was able to begin his journey into the industry and the opportunities he had and used, He also discussed a lot how he would go about getting into the industry in now a day as they have changed quite a lot. He mentioned about the production that his company has been involved in such as Sunderland till I die, Cinderella and many more.

David Putnam talked a lot about all sorts of subjects in the media and film industry and all about his experience in the industry. The main subject he talked about was about how ideas come about and how he used to make ideas to the big screen, this talk of his was very knowledgeable as he told us a lot about how he was able to make ideas and present them to higher ups.

Before and after their talks, I did research into there products and companies in order to see their route into the industry and the experiences they have been able to be apart of.

From networking, my job experience at the Washington Arts Centre was a nig opportunity for me as I had been able to join the creative you group all about film making. I have been able to work with Big river films, Alistair Cumming, a film director and producer in the northeast. This experience has been information and fun as I have been able to learn a lot about the industry and been involved with creating many different short films in the group.




Overall, I have had an brilliant valuable experience with my B1 – Progression. It has given me so much of an insight into different pathways I may take, job opportunities, connections and so much more over the course. With this experience I have been able to sharpen more of my skills such as filming, scripting, directing and much more with the opportunities from this. B1 has been able to help me finalize my future plan with my future in the media industry, Currently the plan is to attend university studying film and media either at Newcastle University or Durham University for visual arts and films. 


Comments

Popular Posts