Show Reel - Research & Video

Show Reel Research

A showreel is a short video showcasing a person’s work and experience, show reels are mainly used for people in the creative industries. They are more associated with actors, but filmmakers, animators, musicians and editors also use them to show of their talent to future employers.

In order to figure out what I need in a showreel I decided to research and investigate other different show reels on YouTube from editors, actors to directors and animators.

First Show reel

Showreel - Click Here

The first seconds explains what the video is about and who it is mainly for. It says “are you looking for an editor” but the way he has done it he has edited it to have transitions for the majority of the words to demonstrate his skills.

 He also has edited the sound to match up with the transitions, so when it switches so does the sound, he has done this to show more of his skills of too potential employers. I really like how he has edited most of his video as it all runs smoothly and keeps you entranced to the video and doesn’t break at all. It is all cohesive together and fits together perfectly.
n order to back up with experience with evidence he includes clips of videos he has edited and filmed himself to show more of his skills.

He also makes a small joke in the video by showing a video he filmed where the bucket didn’t empty properly on another’s heads, and it has the word seriously over it. He does this to poke fun at that people are thinking seriously when the water bucket fails to hit his head. 

He is showing employers that he can make fun of videos and knows that everything doesn’t go to plan but can see the light in it and make people laugh from it.

In the showreel he also shows more of his skills he has with editing.

Each skill he is very proud of or can do with ease has a small 5 second part dedicated to those skills. So, for color grading he shows of his skills of color grading he can do, he does this with aerial and motion graphic as well.

 I really liked these parts of the video he has done in order to show people of what types of skills he is capable of doing and while having them in the video he stills makes them smoothly transitions them from each other and onto the next scene.

I think I will try and add this into my own showreel as I believe it is a nice way to show the types of skills I have when it comes to editing.

 In the video he also shows what type of content he can edit; he shows this by going through each genre such as music, vlogs, game, streaming and covers. He shows each genre through videos he has edited and filmed himself to show how he would edit these types of contents.

He edited them together flawlessly truly showing what he is capable of.

I really like the way he has showed of how he can edit different types of content and edit them in style they should be in such as with the gaming he edited with clean cut shoots and follows the guns around to make it feel as if you are in the game itself whereas the music content, he smoothly puts them together while using the sound to change the video.


My Show Reel 

For the beginning of the Show Reel I decided to gather all the different types of clips to use. I have gathered clips from my documentary of the Digital age and the Short Film I helped create during my Work experience. 


Showreel

Draft One - Showreel - Click Here
Draft Two - Showreel - Click Here
Draft Three - Showreel - Click Here

Canva

Here is the link to draft edit - Click Here

Here is the link to Final edit - Click Here


Updated Showreel

After getting much needed feedback on my showreel, many people felt that it could be more improved to show of my skills. So I decided to re-approach my showreel in Davinci and Canva again.
I first started off with making noted where I could improve my showreel in a work document, the bullet points where:
  • Include photography skills 
  • Better Transitions 
  • Match transitions to music
  • Better quality
  • Show of more projects 
After making my list, I first started with including my photography skills. I needed to show them off as I added photographer to the begin of my showreel and added no evidence of it. So began in Canva to create my photography, I first started off with creating the same yellow background that I used for my intro in order to make it more cohesive. 

I decided to start going through my photographs and for my first slide on photography I decided to use the photography's of Tilly I took during our photo shoot as I believe these are some of my best photos that I have edited.

I first uploaded them to canva and began to test them with different frames until I found these ones which is very suitable for my showreel as it is more cohesive. I want to add frames to show more of my skills but also when they did not have frames they looked unprofessional and out of place. The placement of the photos is deliberately as I did not want them in the boring position of having them straight, I turned them slightly to give them more of a fun atmosphere. 

After I finished setting the slide for the showreel I uploaded the music to canva in order to match up the animation to the music. 
It was a bit difficult at first as I had to find the right moment when the music raised its beat and then dropped it so it went out in the same time. there were many attempts. I was able to match the time up by changing the speed of the slide to 4.0 seconds. 
After figuring out the needed speed for the slide I added the pop animation to the photographs to make it more fun but also to show more of my skills. I did have to readjust the time on the slide in order to ensure that the pop animation finished at the same time as the beat of the music going up. the adjusted time was 3.9 seconds.



After finishing the slide of photographs, i decided to add a small clip of Tilly smiling I used for my smile campaign. I did this by uploading the video to canva and placed the same frame around it as the photographs in order to make it more cohesive but to also trick people thinking it is another photograph where it actually a moving image of Tilly. 

After editing the slide together I began to focus on the music and figure out when the beat it so the new video can be shown and last long enough to the next beat. 

I added small text in the corner telling people where the clip is from. 

After editing the first part of the showreel, I went back to animations on canva as I saw a brand new animation they have now. It where you can simply move the object on the page how ever you want it done and the example was of a bee so I thought it would be very on brand if I used this on my showreel.

It was a very simple animation to use as I simply just dragged the bee graphic over the page and followed the purple line. It was a very fun animation and experiment so I decided to add it to my showreel as it is my brand but also show more of the technical skill and the creative thinking I have.

Bee animation - Click Here

After the bee animation I decided to focus back on my photography slides to show of my skills with the camera. I decided the next photographs that I was going to use it the ones of my canon campaign, these were not my final product but something I made on the side. 
 I decided to have them appear on the screen one by one and to do this I initially had them on one slide but that did not work as they would appear together so I had to create three separate slides and have them appear one by one. 
I had to have one picture on one and then copy it onto the others one at a time something like this in order to have them appear one by one. 
I also began to match the music again with the photos coming on screen, I was able to get it as the music beat changed 3 seconds apart so each Slide had to be one second long. It was a bit difficult for the sound as canva editing sound is very difficult as it normally shortens the slide so I had to figure out when the video of Tilly smiling would come on and then find the next beat so I know the time when the next photographs should appear.

The next photographs I decided to show off where my ones of Durham, I had taken on a trip. These are some of the best pictures I have edited in my opinion and I wanted to add them to the showreel to show more of my skills. 
I first uploaded them to canva and began to place them on the slide, I started off having them in many different positions as I wanted to find the right layout. 

After creating my photography slides on Canva, I move over to Davinci in order to start editing my showreel. 
As I already have the clips I want to use, it is a quite a simple task. I wanted to make my showreel move cohesive and fun so I decided to take a screenshot of my yellow background on Canva and place it in the showreel in order to shrink the size of the video down to make it look as if the video is in a frame. 

This is what my timeline looked like as I added many different effects, clips and scenes over eachother to make it look more smoothly transited into eachother. This part was a very difficult task as i had to try and match the music up at the same time as the clips. As i separate the projects os they were all together, I decided that the clips would all last a couple of beats together before moving on teh next project as is gives time for viewers to see my work.

















Comments

Popular Posts