Constructive of a CV for Employement

CV Research 

In order to being working in the media industry, or any industry, I will need a CV to show any future employer my skills, Education, experience, references, interests and personal contact information.

Skills and achievements - In this part of the CV I should write about key skills that are related to the job I am applying for such as media related skills or achievements I have in order to show the employer that I am have the skills needed and meets the criteria that they have set.

Education- should be shown in a list and dated all previous education, including professional qualifications. I should mention specific modules I have only when it is relevant. I would write as they need to know how educated I am but do I have the certain qualification or knowledge about a certain area.

Work Experience - I would write this in reverse order, youngest to oldest to make sure that the latest work experience is most relevant to the job I am applying for. I should include the job title, name of the company, how long I was there and my key responsibilities to show I have the capability to handle responsibilities including media related jobs.

References - References are important for jobs in the media industry as it shows future employers that they are capable to handle working in the industry but also they can easily contacted the past employer and gain more insight to my work style and personality, which would allow them to make a decision if i am a good fit for the job role.

Interests - In this section I should write about relevant interest that can provide a more information of what I am like but also gives me something to talk about in a interview. Each interest of mine such as filming, creative planning and more will give the employer more information that I am more suited to the media job role due to them.

From the Prospects website they give a lot of information about how to format a CV 

From the website I have gathered the dos and don't for a CV which are:

Do's
  • List everything in reverse order - as employers want to see work history and most recent achievements.
  • Keep it concise by using clear spacing and bullet point - as it allows them to skim quickly over your CV and take the important information. 
  • Name the document - Save as CV Jasmine McNeil in order for employers to know what they are looking for. 
    Don't
  • Avoid titling document as CV - it is a waste of space 
  • Avoid fonts like comic sans- Always choose a smart and readable font for employers so they can easily read.
  • Do not save document as document 1 - employers want to know what they are looking at. Looks unprofessional too.
These dos and don't give me lots of help in how to set out and structure my CV but also to know how it should be quick and easy to read for recruiter.

Draft 1

For my First draft I deiced to start with my Experience I have with others jobs and also listing the types of responsibilities I had while I was there. I did not add dates due to working periodically through out the year as I would only over people if they were off. 
For Education I just put my college public service qualification as I could not find my gcses qualification certificate. 

Server

Gormans, Barmston Village
  • Taking orders in person and over the phone
  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the shop
  • Dealing with complaints calmly to maintain good rapport with customers
  • Working as a part of a team to meet customers needs
  • Occasionally taking over different stations when needed

waitress

Mog on the Tyne - Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the cafe
  • Talking to customers
  • Working with Cats and Kittens
  • Working as part of a team
  • Serving tables

Teacher Assistant

Washington Academy - Washington
  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the classrooms
  • Helping teachers with students
  • Occasionally helping students one on one
  • Working as part of a team to help with students

Education


Diploma in Public Services

City of Sunderland College - Sunderland
September 2020 to June 2021
Skills
Communication
Teamwork
Stock Rotation
Customer Service
House Keeping
Microsoft
Google

For the rest of my CV Didn't save due to computer problems, So this is all I have at the moment. From looking at I know it need much more improvement such as:
  • Adding the rest of my GCSE Qualifications
  • My interest 
  • Personal Contact 
  • References 
  • Skills and Achievements
So for my second attempt I will be adding all of the things that I missed but also making sure that it all is readable for recruiters. 

Draft 2 


Spout Lane

Sunderland , NE37 2UE

07732 894633

jasminemcneil6@gmail.com

Jasmine McNeilA long, thin rectangle to divide sections of the document

SKILLS

  • Communication 

  • Teamwork 

  • Stock Rotation

  • Customer Service

  • House Keeping

  • Microsoft 

  • Google

EXPERIENCE

Sunderland Culture, Washington Arts Center - Work Placement

  • Social Media posts

  • Represent Sunderland Culture at events

  • Creating content (Blog writing, posts,promotional material)

Gormans, Barmston Village — Server

  • Taking orders in person and over the phone 

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the shop 

  • Dealing with complaints calmly to maintain good rapport with customers 

  • Working as a part of a team to meet customers needs 

  • Occasionally taking over different stations when needed

Mog on the Tyne, Newcastle  — waitress

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the cafe 

  • Talking to customers

  • Working with Cats and Kittens

  • Working as part of a team 

  • Serving tables

Washington Academy, Washington — Teacher Assistant

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the classrooms

  • Helping teachers with students 

  • Occasionally helping students one on one

  • Working as part of a team to help with students

EDUCATION

Washington Academy, Washington Sunderland — 2015 to 2020

September 2015 - June 2020, Washington, Sunderland

English Literature  4

English Language  5

Creative media  Merit

Math  4

Trilogy Science - 5 & 5

Religious Studies - 6

History - 5

Art & Photography - 5 & 5 

Business Studies - Pass

Sunderland College, Sunderland Durham Road - 2020 to Present

NCFE Level 3 Diploma Public Services - Merit

Btec level 3 540 Diploma Creative Media - Merit

References

 Neil Wilson - Sunderland College - College Lecturer 

 neil.wilson@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk


Mark Huck - Washington Academy - Teacher

Telephone - 0191 580 4956 



For my second draft I had to checked by a lecture and they said It was very well written and that I need to add my interest and then I would finish my CV. 
Compared to my first draft this one is way better as it is easier to understand, has all my qualifications on it, references and overall it better to read. 

Final


Spout Lane

Sunderland , NE37 2UE

07732 894633

jasminemcneil6@gmail.com

Jasmine McNeilA long, thin rectangle to divide sections of the document

SKILLS

  • Communication 

  • Teamwork 

  • Stock Rotation

  • Customer Service

  • House Keeping

  • Microsoft 

  • Google

EXPERIENCE

Sunderland Culture, Washington Arts Center - Work Placement

  • Social Media posts

  • Represent Sunderland Culture at events

  • Creating content (Blog writing, posts,promotional material)

Gormans, Barmston Village — Server

  • Taking orders in person and over the phone 

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the shop 

  • Dealing with complaints calmly to maintain good rapport with customers 

  • Working as a part of a team to meet customers needs 

  • Occasionally taking over different stations when needed

Mog on the Tyne, Newcastle  — waitress

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the cafe 

  • Talking to customers

  • Working with Cats and Kittens

  • Working as part of a team 

  • Serving tables

Washington Academy, Washington — Teacher Assistant

  • Maintaining the cleanliness of the classrooms

  • Helping teachers with students 

  • Occasionally helping students one on one

  • Working as part of a team to help with students

EDUCATION

Washington Academy, Washington Sunderland — 2015 to 2020

September 2015 - June 2020, Washington, Sunderland

English Literature  4

English Language  5

Creative media  Merit

Math  4

Trilogy Science - 5 & 5

Religious Studies - 6

History - 5

Art & Photography - 5 & 5 

Business Studies - Pass

Sunderland College, Sunderland Durham Road - 2020 to Present

NCFE Level 3 Diploma Public Services - Merit

Btec level 3 540 Diploma Creative Media - Merit


Interest

I am very interested in media such as filming, editing and journalism. As I am very interested in these areas I am currently a part of a film group with Sunderland Culture that shows people of the community about how to write, direct, shoot and film a movie with a local director and creator, Alistair Cummings.

I am also interested in Photography as it gives me a way to speak or send a message to people without words. I am currently taking trips all over the Northeast to edit pictures myself with different types of software.

References

 Neil Wilson - Sunderland College - College Lecturer 

 neil.wilson@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk


Mark Huck - Washington Academy - Teacher

Telephone - 0191 580 4956 


Here is my final CV edit as I believe I have created this to the best of my ability while not adding many words as I want to keep my CV short and only involve the most important information a recruiter would need to know.


 


Comments

Popular Posts