Academic Research

Higher Educational Research

Thinking about my future, I decided to start researching into different University and courses in the area near me in order to see what types of courses that I would want to do and what they offer.

For my university fees, my tuition fee would be covered and I would be able to claim all of the money a maintenance fee is able to give if I stay at home or if I move out. 

I know in order to get into these universities I will have to achieve a Distinction for my B1 Unit and Distinctions in my B2 Units. Some universities have mentioned that I can show my portfolio and they could possibly offer my a lower entry grade as I have the skill set needed for the course. 

Newcastle University

At Newcastle university they have two courses I am interested in Film and Media BA Honors and Media, communication and Cultural Studies. I am interested in both of these courses as they both give the me the opportunity of entering the media industry but also to get my dream jobs such as a producer or a director. 

Film and Media Degree Course 

It is a three year course that focuses on developing practical skills in documentary film making alongside journalism practice. 
Also explore media and cultural studies, professional skills to prepare for the future: Documentary filmmaking, writing and multimedia journalism, reflection and essay writing and online communication and media analysis. These really interest me in applying for this course as this sets me up for a great career in the future but also helps me to develop more of my skills and refine the knowledge that I already know. 

First year the modules are introduction to film technologies, scholarly practice, filmmaking and documentary. Optional modules go from media studies and social studies to world cinema and journalism making me understand that I can tail the course towards want I want to gain out of it and help me to better myself for the future careers I wish to go into. 


Second year modules are work experience, research methods, Culture media and identity, making a short documentary and analyzing documentary practice. These main modules are going to help me gain more knowledge of the media industry and give me more experience in the media industry which gives me more confident in applying for this course. The optional modules are film theory and journalism to studies into race, culture and identity to celebrity culture.

Third year modules are all optional meaning that I will have to choose from the list of what types of modules I wish to take. The modules I have a choice of is from research into media industry and advertising to create short films to Visual Culture and storytelling and collective psychology. 

From an open day I discovered that this course offers the opportunity of combining other courses such as storytelling and creative writing into the course which gives me the confident of applying as this course give me what I want and need to make it into the media industry. 

Teaching and independent study time changes each year but there is always much more independent study than teaching time meaning I will have to be more responsibility with my time management but gives me much freedom. 

The entry requirements for this course is either DDD but it can also be a DDM as it will be considered by the Academic selector and my personal statement will but put into consideration. 
I also will apply for the partners programme at Newcastle university which will make it easier for me to gain an place in the media and film course as it will lower the entry grade for me.

Pros and Cons List

Pros

  • Close to home 
  • Nice City 
  • Excellent Course 
  • Great for Future Career
  • Close to Lara's Business
  • Aly goes there 
  • Close to Metro 
  • One of the top universities in the Northeast
  • What I want 

Cons

  • Requires a Bus pass or a metro Pass
  • Takes Bus and metro 
  • Takes a while on the bus 
  • Metro delays 
  • One bus to metro station
  • At least takes 30 mins with metro and bus
  • Not safest at night
  • One of the most stressed Universities in England
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/p303/

Media, Communication and Cultural Studies BA honors

This three year media, communication and cultural degree focuses on developing your professional skills. I'll be encouraged to explore how media influences our culture, societies and identity, so I am ready for a career in the industry. This course interested me as it I will learn more about how the media is effecting society but also have hands on experience with creating a documentary, journalism and marketing.

First year the modules are introduction the media studies, scholarly practice, social and cultural studies and multimedia technologies for media studies as these are mandatory they also give you optional modules to start tailing the course to what I want to gain out of it. The modules are from professional communication and journalism practice to the past, present and future of journalism and introduction to popular music studies.

Second year modules are Work experience, research methods and popular culture, media and identity, these are are the basic for this year and they offer optional modules that gives people more of an option to what they really want to learn such as film theory, public relations, visual culture and conflict and crisis reporting. This interest me as I can gain what I want to learn about and need for my future career in the media industry.

Third year module is a media research dissertation which is where I will take a subject and do full reports all about it, they also offer more optional modules such as race, culture and identity, visual culture, conflict and crisis reporting, storytelling and collective psychology, advertising and consumption's.

From the open day I went to a lecture about the course and it was very interesting as they explained the details of the course but also they add how much experience you really get from the course.

I will learn more for independent studying which I do not mind as I am fully assessed on my course work that I submit and will be give times to change in order to achieve a higher grade.


University of Durham

Durham university is a global outstanding university but it also known for it's impressive history of academic excellence research and the quality of it's graduates. It is a prestige's university that it is very hard to get into as they often have a high entry levels for most courses.

Visual Arts BA Honors

Combing Still and moving images, advanced academic study and practical skills development is what I will learn on the course. 

I would acquire an appropriate breath of knowledge of visual arts and film, considering historical and geographical range as well as the multifarious theoretical and critical approaches appropriate to the analysis of visual artefacts.


First year, it is to study three core modules that lay a foundation all visual arts and two optional modules which go beyond arts and humanities and include language. They give the option of many language, the first year is very well structure, as it show the basic skills for the course so it is easier in second year.

Second year I would study three core modules to build upon my knowledge and skills in film studies, exhibitions display and digital research skills. Optional modules give the opportunity to further develop my language skills or expand my own knowledge of visual culture and film into more specialized areas. 

Third year I will undertake a dissertation project and special subject module, this give me the chance to apply existing knowledge in two distinct modules that encourage depth of research. This give me the chance to focus more into the subject areas of media I wish to learn more about. 

Pros
  • Great Course 
  • Excellent University 
  • Semi close to home 
  • Adds a language 
  • Accommodation 
  • Moving Out
Cons
  • Bus would take two hours or more
  • Cost of accommodation 
  • Not close to much Family 
  • Semi Close to home

University of Sunderland

University Of Sunderland is not as known as other universities but it has a highly respected education level that combines academic excellence with incredible student support and pastoral care. According to research they have a high quality of teaching and research. 

Film and Media BA Honors

With this course I would learn how to critical think, analysis and develop the transferable skills of problem solving, communication and presentation. Combine academic research with practical application, developing the talents to join and ever changing industry. 

First year is about Understanding media and culture, Introduction to film studies, histrionic of cinema, contemporary cinema, Single camera production and introduction of script writing. These are all the core modules for the first year, this give me a lot of opportunity to learn the most about the basic of industry entry levels and careers. 

Second year modules are interrogation factual media, film theory and criticism, screening nations, film and society and researching into media theory and practice, these are the mandatory modules for second which allows me to widen my knowledge on the industry but the optional modules screenwriting, developing own product, operating the streaming industry and documentary. The optional modules allow me to focus more into the area I wish to look for as a career. 

Third year modules media research project, media and society and engaging screen audience are the modules which allow me to create a project where I am able to have experience in the career I wish to do.  The optional modules range from studies on all forms of film genres and pop music culture, this gives me a lot of options of how I want to tailor the course to me. 

Pros
  • Close to Home
  • Easy to get to 
  • Developed for media 
  • Easy entry level 
  • Close to Family 
  • One bus ride
Cons
  • One hour to get to 
  • Far from friends 
  • Course is not too lenient
  • Can't tailor it much to my liking

Tee-side University 

Teeside University is well known University as they according to research they have some of the most highest employment rates, happiest rates and quality of teaching course. Teeside has many facilitates that have high end media equipment in as they are known for their media and technology based courses. 

Film and television Production BA honors 

I have access to industry-standard facilities including two working television studios, a fully operational radio station, digital film production equipment, grading and edit suites as well as access to the full range of software available through the Adobe Creative Suite. They also have our very own multimedia platform - TUXtra - which showcases content produced by students and volunteers across the university.



First year modules are boot camp for post and production, branding identity, Introduction to media theory, storytelling page to screen and studio production. These modules will give me the basic skills for the industry but also give me a chance to try all the jobs and careers in the industry. 

Second year modules are Documentary production, Film genre, media project, sound design for film and TV and working with actors and contributors. These modules really give me the experience with all sorts of jobs as I would be working with actors and trying sound design which will give me much experience with these types of job roles.


Third Year modules are Client based production project, current issues in media, exit strategy, Final major project research and media production project. These modules will give me the confident in entering the media industry as there is support for finally getting in the industry but also I will show future employers of what I can do. 

Pros 

  • Amazing close 
  • Close to Kristie

  • Know my way around 
  • Works with ITV and BBC 
  • Independent living
  • Easy entry level

Cons 

  • Away from home 
  • Moving out 
  • Far drive 
  • Accommodation costs

These will be my final choices for my universities, I am hoping that I get into Newcastle University as they have a great course and is close to home plus what I want out of the course I will be happy. If I do not get into Newcastle I am hoping that I get into Teeside University as they have the second best course, in my opinion. 

The other two university are my safety choices. 





 



Comments

Popular Posts